SILS Language Partners
SILS language partners perform the crucial activity of engaging students in authentic communication in the target language. Language partners are an extremely important component of the SILS program, and we hope that the experience of helping someone else learn your native language will be rewarding to you as well.
If you are interested in joining our team of language partners, please fill out our online language partner application form. Demand for languages varies a great deal from semester to semester; we'll keep your application on file until we are in a position to hire you.
- SILS language partners can be graduate students, professional students, post-docs, staff, faculty, or members of the greater Atlanta community.
- You must be able to commit to approximately 3-4 hours of meeting/preparation time every week for an entire semester. Meetings are arranged at times that are convenient for both language partners and students (evenings and weekends are available). All meetings take place on the Emory campus.
- You must be a native speaker of a language that is not already offered through the Emory curriculum (list of languages taught at Emory).
- No language teaching experience is necessary. (Note: If you are an experienced college-level instructor of your native language, you may be eligible to participate in SILS as a language examiner rather than a language partner. As a language examiner, you would develop a syllabus and curriculum and administer a final exam. If you would like to be considered for this position, please email a resume/CV to firstname.lastname@example.org.)
- You must be qualified to receive wages in the United States. If we hire you, we will ask for required tax forms and documentation at the beginning of the semester and will not be able to pay you until we have received them. Contact the SILS staff for specific information about payment and required documentation.
Download our language partner flyer
(feel free to forward to forward to friends and family)